Media release 1st June 2021
Winter Appeal Campaign Launch
Dogs’ Homes of Tasmania (DHoT) is making an urgent appeal for donations this winter.
- The number of dogs in their care is rising as day-to-day life resumes, more people return to work and many pet owners face housing difficulties in a tight rental market.
- The kennels across their four Homes (located in Burnie, Devonport, Launceston and Hobart) urgently need repairs. The kennels need new waterproofing and draught proofing, and many exercise yards need improvement. The initial cost of work required has been estimated at $120,000.
- Funding vet care is always Dogs’ Homes of Tasmania’s top priority, but the costs of vet care are an ongoing challenge. Approximately 3000 dogs come into their care each year, and all will have health checks on arrival. Of the dogs that aren’t reclaimed, most require vaccinations and desexing before adoption. Many require more extensive surgical procedures including dental work and other surgery.
The Winter Appeal is being assisted by four Ambassadogs – former Dogs’ Home dogs who have found new lives in forever homes.
- Mr eNormous (his friends call him Norm) a gentle giant surrendered at ten months because he was ‘too big’. Norm was adopted by Dogs’ Home Behaviour Trainer Michelle and has gone on to care for hundreds of foster puppies over the years.
- Tiny Hunter, who arrived at the Dogs’ Home with a badly broken leg, withdrawn and wary. With expert vet care this little man is now the fastest chihuahua in town, and with loving care from his new owners he’s learning to trust again.
- Pyklet and Halen, best mates. Pyklet was already grey in the muzzle when his crooked smile won him a place in his mum’s heart, and he was adopted. Halen was born in foster care at DHoT and joined the family as a goofball puppy.
The beautiful photographs of the Ambassadogs used in the campaign (files attached) were taken by multi-award winning animal photographer Ken Drake, who has donated his time and talent to assist the Winter Appeal.
How people can help.
Make a small donation directly to the appeal. Every dollar helps, and as Norm says, ‘little pups can grow into big dogs’.
- Donations can be made via the website: https://www.dhot.com.au/winter-appeal.
- Donation collectors will be in major shopping centres on June 4th.
- Donation boxes are at a number of retail outlets.
Fundraise for DHoT for the chance to win a stunning professional portrait of your dog DHoT are inviting people to create their own fundraising page, share it on social media and ask their friends to help them fundraise. The highest individual fundraiser will win a photoshoot for their own dog valued at $1550, donated by Ken Drake Photography.
Online fundraisers can also form teams and the team raising the most money will win a group workshop with Ken on Taking Better Photos with your Mobile Phone, and one lucky attendee at that workshop will win a photoshoot of their dog, valued at $1550.
Online fundraisers can sign up at https://www.dhot.com.au/campaigns/fundraise-dhot-winter-appeal/
Host a fundraising event DHoT are asking people to get some friends together, host an event and raise funds for the Winter Appeal. See the DHoT website for ideas. https://www.dhot.com.au/host-a-fundraiser-for-dhot/
Contact: Dogs’ Homes of Tasmania CEO Michael Sertori – 0419 371 233
About Photographer Ken Drake
Born in the UK, multi-award winning Master Photographer Ken Drake proudly calls Tasmania home. Ken has won many photographic awards nationally and internationally, published four books and appeared on national TV, radio and various media. He now focuses his talents on creating stunning animal wall art and prints and private pet portrait commissions.
Since 2006, Ken has focused exclusively on animal photography, believing that each and every animal he photographs is an individual with their own unique personality. Ken has a special affinity with dogs, taking the time to get to know them in each sitting, so that he captures the unique personality, character and beauty of each dog.
Dogs’ Homes of Tasmania are honoured that Ken and his team have donated their services to assist their Winter Appeal and are delighted with his stunning portraits of their Ambassadogs.
Contact Ken Drake: 0406 671 829